Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Auld Lang Syne



Even if we haven't had a clue what it means, Auld Lang Syne evokes an undeniable sentimentality, a disorienting nostalgia, an instantaneous affection for the people around you at that exact moment; loved ones and strangers alike.

These are monumental moments in our lives that we all share. These are common threads that can be so painful to go through, or incredibly wonderful experiences we never forget.

As I get older, it is more and more apparent that despite the significant differences in the cultures of our ever-shrinking world, we have much more in common than we acknowledge. We celebrate the same life achievements with joy. We all mourn the passing of loved ones with tears of sorrow.

I have never been a big "New Year's Resolution" guy, but I am definitely a nostalgic man. It's not that I don't like looking ahead; I do. However, I also enjoy taking the time on New Year's to look back on the year that passed.

Personally, 2013 was a big year as for me as I got married to the love of my life. There have been so many memorable moments -- too many to list here -- so all I will say is I hope that 2014 is filled with more of them.


As we sing along Auld Lang Syne while we celebrated each other's achievements, big and small. So, as we look back on 2013, and look ahead to a New Year filled with unknown possibilities, I will make one resolution just for you.

My resolution is to do the best job I can of sharing the many worthwhile stories that come to my attention. That's one resolution I am confident I can keep, and one that my loyal readers definitely deserve. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment