Sunday, 11 November 2012

Hot Air Balloon Communication




The hot air balloon is the oldest successful human-carrying flight technology. Taking a balloon ride, I can feel the thrill of suspended in a basket under a glorious hot air balloon. As the balloons gently rise from the ground at daybreak as the silence of night is interrupted by the first birds of the morning. The view from a hot air balloon is undoubtedly spectacular, and the experience is one you will remember as enchanting and uplifting.

While flying the balloon, it remind me the story is told of a man flying in a hot air balloon who realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon and shouts, “Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?” The man below says, “Yes, you’re in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field.”

“You must work in Finance,” says the balloonist. “I do,” replies the man. “How did you know?” “Well” says the balloonist, “everything you have told me is technically correct, but it’s no use to anyone.”

The man below says, “You must work in Management”. “I do” replies the balloonist, “but how did you know?” “Well”, says the man, “you don’t know where you are, or where you’re going, but you expect me to be able to help you. You’re in the same position you were before we met, but now it’s my fault.”

Here is a classic example of "Chicken and Duck Talk", based on an old Chinese proverb to describe how two groups of animals can't understand each other because they seemingly speak different language.

For this instance, communication barriers exist due to difference in the ideologies or the presence of conflicts. For me, it really reminded me to be thoughtful of the different filters these two disciplines think about the world and needing to ensure that we connect the dots between the two worlds.

It is essential that we identify our communication barriers and work towards rectifying it. The most practical way or approach to get rid of communication barriers is to communicate more and more and at different levels.

Back to my hot air balloon flying, it was an amazing experience. So much to see, but often it's the sensation of floating silently over this picturesque landscape at sunrise for your 60 minute hot air balloon flight, that really makes this such a special time. Breathe in the wide-open spaces and be amazed at the colourful spectacle of our other balloons in the morning sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment