Saturday, 24 March 2012

Carpe Diem

  
 

Life is a journey. And we mark the milestones in our own way. Some are good at keeping diaries and scrapbooks, but I believe most of us just store these moments into our memory banks.

For most of us, final SPM paper we took marked the end of secondary school education and it marked a turning point in our lives where we moved from studying together to embarking upon vastly different pathways. It marks the beginning of numerous decisions that we have to make and includes getting a lot of advice from school counselors, worried parents and knowledgeable seniors, counsel from helpful relatives, visits to campus open day sessions, mountainous stacks of college brochures and reading the education sections in local newspapers and websites trying to figure out what to do in the next phase of life.

Every year, without fail, each time the public examination results are announced, there will be the usual stories about the top achievers.

But if we look at things in the proper perspective, the life of a budding teenager, or a young adult, is not determined at this point, whatever the examination results.

Statistically speaking, super-duper achievers are very much in the minority and many people do bloom and reach their full potential much later on in life for example like me which my SPM result is not that good.

So, my encouragement to you is don’t worry. Try different routes. It took me many years to find my passion but when I did, I never looked back. But looking back, I would not change my past. Each experience I had, good or bad, helped me learn about myself and developed me. And all these experiences helped me find out what I didn’t want to do and what I was truly passionate about. So, my take is, enjoy life after SPM. Don’t fret. But keep exploring and keep experiencing and you will surely find your passion in life

And so, today, I wish all students who have just collected the SPM results, by all means rejoice in your distinctions, but do not despair over your credits and passes.

Life is a journey, and the SPM is just a little stop along the way for you to pause and reflect, and to move on.

As we stood for the recessional, Gaudeamus Igiture (Let Us Rejoice), I silently wished all the student well and prayed they would not compromise their values in their pursuit of success.

Note:- I am not intelligent (based on my SPM Result) so I have to work "smart"

No comments:

Post a Comment