Sunday, 15 May 2011

Who Moved My Nasi Lemak?


 "Being in the uncomfortable zone is much better than staying in the cheese-less situation" Spencer Johnson (Who Moved My Cheese)

“To boldly go where no man has gone before” that was my first reaction when I got my news that change my life forever.

We all have a comfort where everything feels safe and familiar. We tend to not want to venture beyond it, however if we allow ourselves to stay there we will not be challenged, experience personal growth, or learn new and exciting things. In other words, we would stagnate.

I have to convince myself, that I need to put myself in a position where I have to stretch outside my comfort zone, and then I am forced to expand my consciousness. 

You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.

It's hard stepping out of your comfort zone. So hard in fact, I couldn't help but wonder why people ever do it. But this year, I think I may have just worked it out. It's not about scaring yourself into oblivion as I first suspected, but rather, it's about pushing yourself into a "not so scary" place where you can achieve your goals and take yourself further than you ever thought you possibly could.

My little bubble of clarity exploded this year on a couple of fronts.

Firstly, I started a new job that requires me to move overseas. Exciting for some, shit scary for me. I'd been staying in Malaysia all my life even though I travel occasionally but it's fair to say I felt pretty comfy there. Anywhere other than there was well and truly outside of my comfort zone. Malaysia is my home.

I was sitting rather uncomfortably in my new home and work environment. Imagine if you will for a moment what it would be like if you were plucked out of your daily normal life amongst family and friends and all that you know and were sent to live in a community in the outback of central Australia where the language is not familiar and you are the minority by a long way.

Days and weeks passed with only minor hiccups. I soon realised that everything I loved about the old job could be found here too.My comfort zone was certainly not everything I had convinced myself it was. Yes, it was safe and nothing was awful there, but nothing was ever truly exceptional either so when i first step out of my comfort zone it feel difficult and fearful but at some point become comfortable again.

Be brave enough to live adventure life.  The adventure is the place where no one else has ever been.  I have to leave the city of my comfort and go into the wilderness of my intuition.  

Well worth the small step outside of my little comfort zone.

Note:- Still misses my nasi lemak for now

No comments:

Post a Comment