Sunday, 14 August 2011

Social Network

"No man is a failure who has friends" qoute from film It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 

I have only 119 friends. On Facebook that is. Considering that many of these friends have more than 1,000 each, I am starting to feel a bit unsociable.
Of course, the number of friends online does not necessarily reflect the friends we have in real life. I have found many long-lost friends from all over the world through Facebook but the fact remains that there are quite a number of Facebook friends I do not really know well.
One of my friends told me the other day that it is hard even for colleagues to become friends although the workplace is where we connect with people the most. So it is quite common to learn about a colleague’s marriage, for example, and realizing that you are not on the invitation list.
The first stage of the Social Contract is the formation stage. Certain elements must be present before a relationship comes into being. There must be offer and acceptance, which can be as simple as an exchange of mobile numbers or acceptance of a “friend” request on Facebook.
There is a saying, “There are no strangers, only friends we have yet to meet.” I like the approach, and over the years, I often am able to add friends to my own list.
Some people believe that you can count your real friends on one hand or two at the most. I think that is a bit pessimistic.
In any case, numbers are not the important thing as friendships go. True friends – whether few or plentiful, new or old – are a balm to the soul.
I am thankful for friends who rejoice with me on happy occasions and commiserate with me in tough times. 

Everlasting friends go long periods of time without speaking and never question the friendship. These friends pick up like they just spoke yesterday, regardless of how long it has been or how far away they live; they don’t hold grudges. They understand that life is busy and know that you will always love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment